Xbox is one of the best and most popular products ever developed by Microsoft. Besides Windows (their notorious operating system), Xbox is definitely a fantastic idea that brings in millions of dollar each year and grows by creating new consoles and fun ways of enjoying online gaming with friends.
Because not all countries practice the same copyright laws and not all games are available globally, the Xbox consoles have access to different content in different regions. Also, having a console with live access to the internet means exposing your network to a lot of people. Most DDoS attacks happen through online gaming chats and channels and being out there with no protection is almost an invite. This is why many people are interested in using a VPN service with their online gaming console.
How To Install A VPN Service On An Xbox 360 / ONE Console
There are two main ways to connect a VPN service to your Xbox and none of these can be installed directly. Both ways are indirect solutions, but they work properly nonetheless.
1 : Sharing The VPN Connection Via Your Computer
First we have to let you know that these step-by-step instructions are applicable for both Windows and Mac computers. Also, we already assume that your computer is connected to the internet and that the VPN service is installed according to your provider’s instructions.
Now, to connect your Xbox One or Xbox 360 to the VPN, you have to do the following:
- Connect the Xbox to your PC or Mac using a crossover cable. For this to work, the IP and DNS settings can’t be set manually. These settings must be on auto.
- Click Start, go to Control Panel and select Network and Sharing Center.
- On the left pane, select “Change Adapter Settings”. Here will be listed all your active and inactive connections, and you have to find the VPN connection. Each VPN forms a specific type of connection so look it up on your user manual if you don’t know which one to select.
- Once you’ve identified the connection, right click on it and select “Properties”
- Select the “Sharing” tab and check the “Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s internet connection”
- At the “Home networking connection” dropdown, select the Local Area Connection
- Click OK and restart the computer
With a Mac computer, you will also need a crossover cable to connect the Xbox 360/One to the computer. Next follow these steps:
- Go to System Preferences and click on Sharing, under Internet & Network.
- In the “Sharing your connection from” menu, identify the VPN connection and select it.
- In the “to computers using” section select the USB Ethernet option
- Check the “Internet Sharing” checkbox and click Start. Now a green bubble will appear on the right, to show you everything is working properly.
- Restart the Mac and the Xbox
- On the Xbox go to System Settings à Network à WiFi à Test Xbox Live. If everything goes well, then you are connected.
2 : Install A VPN Service Directly On Your Router
Almost every VPN service on the market can be set up to run on a router. Go to your user manual and find the instructions to do so. Once the router is set, follow these steps to connect the Xbox One/360 through the router.
- Hit the LIVE button on your controller and select the Settings tab from the menu
- Go to System Settings and select Network settings
- Here, select the router as the default wireless connection (this will be the only connection available if you only have one router)
- When asked, introduce the WPA key (it is written on the back of your router)
- Accept the settings and test the connection.
Even though these methods may seem a bit complicated to a beginner, with a bit of patience you will definitely manage to connect your VPN to your Xbox 360 or Xbox One. This way, you get to enjoy the full Xbox Live experience!